Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Jekyll and Hyde #3

Author's Note: I chose to write about how we can become enslaved in our responsibilities, but that is not always a bad thing. Sometimes we can help ourselves, or even others, by completing the tasks that should be done. I was inspired by Lanyon's dedication to his responsibilities from Jekyll. I don't think the poem I wrote sounds that sophisticated, but I think it gets my point across and I like how it turned out. Have fun reading(:


Determining Factor

A bright sunny day,

Just time spent the usual way.

One more hour by the pool,

Simply for kids to stay cool.


Watching from a distance,

There only for assistance.

Merely one more hour,

Til I can head to the shower.



Two heads bobbing in the deep end,

Just a boy and his best friend.

Every day they are here again,

For the whole summer it has been.


Glancing to my magazine,

Just slightly away from the scene.

The latest gossip and advice,

But I paid an awful price.


Flailing arms catch my eye,

Looks like my turn to be the good guy.

Racing thoughts fill my mind,

As a little boy gasping is what I find.


Now’s the time to show what I’ve learned,

My mind however, is just concerned.

Responsibility flooding my brain,

Feelings I simply cannot explain.


Knowing what I had to do,

I jumped down from my chair and then, just flew.

With confidence, I saved this boy,

Feelings overwhelmed me; feelings of joy.


Making decisions important to some,

Realizing that when called I would come.

I do what is asked,

And will follow my past.


I saved the life of someone’s son

Simply doing what had to be done.

Sometimes I feel I am enslaved,

But what a reward to save the hand that waved.

No comments:

Post a Comment