Thursday, February 9, 2012

Jekyll and Hyde #2

Author's Note: This is just me experimenting with creative writing. I wanted to write about fire and the significance it has in the story of Jekyll and Hyde. I thought about how Hyde was created; he was probably just an idea of Jekyll's and wasn't supposed to get so serious. I also thought that now that Jekyll is rid of Hyde he should emerge even stronger.
One thing I tried with this is kind of creating two poems and putting them together. So if you read lines 1, 3, 5, and so on, it will be Fire. Lines 2, 4, 6, and so on, will be Evil Within Us. And if you read it all at once, it's just one poem with deeper thoughts every other line.
I don't know how smooth this will sound to anyone besides me, but I hope you enjoy the poem!

Fire
Evil Within Us

Starts with a spark,
A revelation of evil.
A minute matter that encourages a small idea to become reality,
An opportunity to expect the unexpected.

Engulfs everything it can reach,
Nothing can cloud it's lights.
Ashes present an unrecognizable world,
Constantly fighting to reach the outside.

Ends in destruction,
Such sort of evil was once unbelievable.
Everything once known, now vanished,
A mysterious type of gift.

Finishes as proof,
Although one may not realize.
Fire might damage us,
In the end though, we're only stronger.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how it starts with fire being evil, but ends with it making us stronger. I enjoyed the way it was written, and was short simple and to the point. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I actually really enjoyed what you did for this piece! It could not have been easy to blend these together, and you did a good job with it! I love how it progresses from evil to strengthening us. This was a great idea and I think it turned out very well!

    ReplyDelete